There has been a lot of publicity about teachers who have had inappropriate and sometimes even illegal relationships with students. I am not going to try to get into figuring out why this happens, but I do have a few ideas for avoiding the temptation of going down such a dangerous road. An inappropriate relationship between teacher and student can be described as anything from showing favoritism all the way to a sexual relationship.
New teachers are especially in danger of falling into this temptation since they are often only four or five years older than the students they are teaching, so they need to be especially careful.
Tips for avoiding improper relationships with students:
1. Think of your students like they are members of your family.
2. NEVER socialize with students outside of school events.
3. Try to avoid talking to students about their private/dating lives.
4. Do not give students rides home from school or extracurricular events.
5. Keep your eyes where they should be--no staring!
6. Avoid joking about anything that is even remotely sexual with students.
7. Do not allow students to be your friends on Facebook until they have graduated.
8. Always leave the door open if you are alone with a student.
9. Remember that no relationship is worth prison time!
10. Try to keep an active social life of your own if you are single.
Please send me your questions and comments about discipline! I love hearing from people who are interested in the topic like I am.
If you like like this blog then PLEASE repost it on facebook and/or twitter using the icons below. Thanks!
*SUBSCRIBE BELOW FOR email BLOG UPDATES!
The content of this site (withoutanger.com) should not be construed as professional and/or definitive advice for taking (or not taking) any particular course of action. The content of this site is not meant to be a substitute for professional advice and is intended merely for entertainment purposes. The owner, advertisers, web host, and writing staff of this site take no legal responsibility or liability for the quality, correctness, integrity, and accuracy of the content of this site.